[Box Backup] Backup Stats ?

Chris Wilson boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Wed Aug 29 01:27:05 BST 2007

Hi Matt,

> I am currently running Box Backup 0.10 (Chris Merge 1794) for a handful
> of clients in place of an Rsync script - clients however were used to
> the verbose output to show what files were backed up and the rsync
> summary at the end of the batch was also semi-informative...
>
> Is there likely to be a similar feature for Box ? I did grab the
> bbclientstatus.pl script along with the box::config perl mod which can
> email the last backup etc of a client which is great for me to see the
> status of the clients, and poke this data at Nagios, however I think
> what the clients would love to see is something along the lines of:
>
> 1. Did it backup last night ?
> 2. What size was the backup.
> 3. Any errors ?
> 4. Space left on store/used.

The Box Backup client can now log a lot of this information, if you turn
on the LogAllFileAccess option and run it in verbose mode (sufficiently
high -v level, or -V for maximum). You could grep it out of your syslogs
(with timestamps for everything) and report it, or I can provide a way to
write the logs to a file instead.

You will see it connect/disconnect (so you know that it backed up), a list
of files processed, ignored due to not being modified, backed up
successfully, or failed to back up. As far as I know, no existing scripts
have been modified to process and report on this new verbose data.

You can get the space left on store at any time with bbackupquery.

> Keep up the fantastic work on this project, I am a great fan and of
> course as always I am happy to test or assist if need be :-)

Thanks, it's highly appreciated!