[Box Backup] Backup Stats ?

Chris Wilson boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Wed Aug 29 22:39:15 BST 2007

Hi Matt,

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007, Matt Brown wrote:

>> The Box Backup client can now log a lot of this information, if you
>> turn on the LogAllFileAccess option and run it in verbose mode
>> (sufficiently high -v level, or -V for maximum). You could grep it out
>> of your syslogs (with timestamps for everything) and report it, or I
>> can provide a way to write the logs to a file instead.
>
> Is that a new option ? I did not know it existed ? - however a
> LogAllFileAccess = {filename_here} or similar would be handy :-)
>
> I presume if I put in LogAllFileAccess = yes  - it will poke the verbose
> detail into syslog or in my case /var/log/box ? or is it a parameter passed
> when starting the Daemon ?

It's a new config file option, added in chris/merge. Log messages will go
to syslog (if you enable the "info" level in /etc/syslog.conf) and/or the
console (if you run bbackupd in the foreground).

I know that having a logfile would be a useful option, but I haven't got
around to implementing it yet.

> Just out of interest, how long before 0.11 ? Is the merge stable enough
> yet ?

I don't know, some users (such as you) have reported good results, but
others (Pete Jalajas and Tobias Balle-Petersen) have reported problems
that I haven't solved yet.

I'd like to release 0.11 in the next two months or so, but not until those
problems are resolved and not if any others appear.