[Box Backup] BoxBackup (chris/merge) - Store Error

Ben Summers boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Fri Aug 31 10:02:35 BST 2007

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007, Chris Wilson wrote:

>> When I run the bbstoreaccounts check option I get ...
>>
>> root at pegasus:~# /usr/local/bin/bbstoreaccounts check 1
>> Checking store account ID 0x000001...
>> Phase 1, check objects...
>> Phase 2, check directories...
>> Phase 3, check root...
>> WARNING: Root directory doesn't exist
>>

> That's very interesting. Since backups are working correctly, and
> bbstoreaccounts' attempt to recreate it fails, I believe that the root
> directory does actually exist, and is not found for some reason.
> bbstoreaccounts appears to be checking some kind of block index to
> find
> it. I don't claim to understand exactly what it's doing. Ben, do
> you have
> any ideas?

It's possible that there are renmants of a previous attempt to over
write the root directory, so there's enough there to stop it being
rewritten and not enough to allow it to be read.

BackupStoreCheck::CreateBlankDirectory() in lib/backupstore/
BackupStoreCheck2.cpp could be modified to force overwriting of the
root. If it couldn't be found in earlier checks, I reckon overwriting
anything left is fine.

Change

   	obj.Open(false /* don't allow overwriting */);
	obj.Open(true /* allow overwriting */);

and it should be fine. Check that the other callers will be fine too.

Also, can we have an ls -la for the root directory of the store,
containing the o01.* files? Then you can write a test which sets
things up so it looks like your situation, and we can test to make
sure it's recovered in future.