[Box Backup] BadBackupStoreFile

Chris Wilson boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Mon Dec 3 22:15:14 GMT 2007

---128931150-857123966-1189455179=:8825

Hi Johann,

Apologies for the late reply, I'm catching up on some unfinished emails in=
=20
my outbox that have been languishing for far too long.

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007, Johann Glaser wrote:

>>> I suspect the low diff time, which I've now increased to 20.000=20
>>> seconds. :-)
>>
>> That may be a bit too long! I wonder how long the diffs take in=20
>> practice? If we're constantly re-reading files then we're certainly=20
>> wasting a lot of time in diffing.
>
> Why should it be too long?

Each file will be diffed for up to 20,000 seconds, nearly 6 hours. If you=
=20
have a number of large files that really can take 6 hours to diff each,=20
then your backup will run... really... slowly.

> The re-reading of files is indeed a strange thing. Does this make any=20
> sens?

Yes, it does kind of make sense. The file on the server can easily have a=
=20
mix of block sizes, and we need to calculate whether we have matches for=20
any of those blocks. Currently we can only search for matches using one=20
block size at a time, so we have to re-read the file once for each block=20
size (up to 128 times, I think, in the worst case).

It would be possible to optimise this to calculate checksums and find=20
matches for all block sizes in a single pass, but nobody has done that=20
work yet.

Noted on [http://www.boxbackup.org/trac/wiki/ConfiguringAServer].

> Regarding modifying BoxBackup to tolerate slow storage: Changing its
> storage format should be avoided. :-)

But may be necessary, unfortunately. Large files tend to perform better=20
than small ones, especially for streaming and in reducing disk overhead,=20
and if we want to support Amazon S3 then it seems to be the way to go.

Cheers, Chris.
--=20
---128931150-857123966-1189455179=:8825--