[Box Backup] backing ub different operating systemn

Rudolf E. Reiber boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Thu Dec 6 17:06:43 GMT 2007

Hi,

my problem is when backing ub some LINUX-machines with my Mac (10.5) =20
via rsync, I always have problems with the different character-=20
encodings on the two machines. The LINUX computer uses ISO8859-15 and =20=

the Mac uses utf-8. (I found no way telling the mac using ISO8859-15 =20
as well...)
So, whenever a filename contains German Umlaute (=F6=E4=FC=D6=C4=DC...) =
or =20
somtimes spaces, these files have "wrong" names on the mac.
For example an =FC becomes %FC, a space %20 etc.
"Eine =DCbung" becomes "Eine%20%FDbung". (example).
The bad thing is, that all these files are deleted and again copied by =20=

rsync.

My question now: how deals boxbackup with these matter?

Thanks...

Rudolf

Rudolf E. Reiber
Kapuzinerberg 19/3