[Box Backup] OSFileError

patrick machielse boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Thu Jan 25 13:23:29 GMT 2007

Chris, Ben,

Thanks for your replies. I am indeed running bbackupd as a regular
user, but it turns out this isn't causing the problems.

The cause of the problem seems to be that bbackupd simply can't find
a location. I moved one of the folders I had specified in the
configuration file, and this makes bbackupd throw the exception. I
think there are two problems with this:

1- I would expect bbackupd to simply skip non-existing locations,
printing a warning to stderr. As it stands, the exception prevents
backup of any location in the configruation (the non-existing folder
is the first one listed), not just of the one that wasn't found.

2- The error message: "Exception caught (Common OSFileError (Error
accessing a file. Check permissions.) 1/9), reset state and waiting
to retry..." is misleading since it is not a permissions problem.
Also, the message could (should) indicate _which_ file couldn't be
accessed.

If you can confirm this is indeed the behaviour (and a bug), I will
add a new ticket to trac.

patrick