[Box Backup] Redundant locations not removed?

Chris Wilson boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Thu Jul 26 13:26:56 BST 2007

Hi Tobias,

> When the client starts to upload to the store, the store is 96% full
> (soft limit). The upload continues until the store is full. Housekeeping
> on the store does not delete any "deleted" files while the client is
> logged in. The client gets disconnected when the store is full. The
> following housekeeping on the store will delete "deleted" files until
> the usage of the store is again 96% (soft limit). At this point I can
> initiate another sync. The 4 hours is the time it takes to move enough
> data to get from 96% to 99%(100%).
>
> Is this the way it is supposed to work?
>
> I guess I could lower the soft limit temporarely to get around this.

That's very interesting, the errors in the logs put me off suspecting
this.

Jul 25 20:02:30 yoiko bbackupd[24426]: SSL err during Write:
   error:1409F07F:SSL routines:SSL3_WRITE_PENDING:bad write retry
Jul 25 20:02:30 yoiko bbackupd[24426]: Exception caught (Connection
   TLSWriteFailed (Probably a network issue between client and server.)
   7/33), reset state and waiting to retry...

Did you have anything in the server logs around this time, lime an
exception?

Also, we should probably catch this one and report the error properly:

Jul 25 10:59:54 yoiko bbackupd[402]: Connection made, login successful
Jul 25 15:06:14 yoiko bbackupd[402]: Exception caught (Connection
   Protocol_UnexpectedReply (Server probably reported an error.) 7/47),
   reset state and waiting to retry...

Older clients (e.g. 0.10) should not back up above the soft limit, so they
would never have got so far. Newer clients (like my branch) will
ignore the soft limit and back up to the hard limit.

So you should probably lower the soft limit permanently to ensure that
there's always free space after housekeeping for however much new data
needs to be uploaded.