[Box Backup] I have the fear....

Ben Bennett boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Thu Mar 15 02:44:22 GMT 2007

WTF!

So it is not dispatch-conf.  It is emerge itself.  I see it changing
the timestamp of both the real file in /etc and the new config.

I have sys-apps/portage version 2.1.2.2 installed.

This explains the bizzaro behavior I was seeing.  When bb runs after
the emerge it sees the date change on the file and updates (with the
same contents).  Then when I run the dispatch-conf to merge in the new
conf, it plops the ._cfg... version over the original and the mtime
remains unchanged and this bb misses it.

It would be nice if bb could catch it since the file size does change
in these cases, but clearly the stupidity is occuring over in the
emerge code.  I have not yet managed to find where the timestamp is
beign changed, but I am hunting.

      Thanks all,

	     -ben