[Box Backup] Box Backup on Rails - Part 2

Fry, Joseph boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Mon Mar 19 21:09:58 GMT 2007

> > Also, now files can be downloaded in the application=20
> interface. Only=20
> > one file at a time can be downloaded currently. The file will be=20
> > extracted on the web server and then be re-compressed using=20
> "zip" when=20
> > sent to the client.
>=20
> Ok... Forgive my confusion, I have been following the=20
> mailinglist for a while before I actually implement the=20
> software... So I haven't actually used BB yet
>=20
> Anyway, I thought the files are encrypted before they are=20
> uploaded with BB.  If that is the case, then how is it=20
> possible to download them via a web interface and have them=20
> be readable?
>=20
> I assume that is what all your talk about crypto API's was=20
> reguarding... But even if that is the case, where are the=20
> keys stored? On the webserver?

I think I answered my own question, I just looked at the admin account.

Any chance the web interface could be implemented in such a way that the =
data could remain encrypted until it is back on the client computer?  =
This might require a simple local GUI tool, or other local support to =
decrypt the data using your BB keys.

I love the idea, however in a situation where it is imparative that the =
data on the server be protected against the server admins as well as the =
public, this solution breaks down.

--=20
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
3/19/2007 11:49 AM