[Box Backup] Box Backup on Rails - Part 2

Fry, Joseph boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Tue Mar 20 15:03:43 GMT 2007

> > That will unfortunately always be true of web based front=20
> ends, and as=20
> > you say, makes the client part unsuitable for many of the=20
> situations=20
> > that Box Backup was designed for. Still it's a great tool and some=20
> > people will find it useful, even just the server side interface is=20
> > handy.
>=20
> I suggested that there could be an "instant" version for=20
> running on localhost, and Stefan agreed it was a good plan=20
> and one he was going to do sometime in the future. The idea=20
> is that you download the tarball, decompress it, run it, then=20
> point your web browser at localhost:xxxx, and it picks up=20
> your keys and config from /etc/box/ bbackupd.conf.
>=20
> Ben

Ben, that is exactly what I was thinking of when I suggested it.  =
Essentially a GUI to recover files.

I wouldn't tie it to localhost necessarily.  For example, I have a =
server I intend to use BB on to backup some important data to our =
managed webhost.  Obviously I don't want the keys on our managed =
webserver, but a web gui I can access from our local network to restore =
files on our local server would be nice.

So I run this future software that resides on our local server and uses =
it's BB keys and config and it presents to our local subnet only.  At =
least it will allow anyone on our local network to recover that Word =
document they overwrote without my needing to do it for them.

As a suggestion, it should be configurable to recover to a) origional =
location b) new location c) download locally.  Also it would be great if =
it could have some user rights controls.  For example, I would love it =
if users could only restore files that they had write permission's on =
(that my not be possible). Finally I would like to see it send an admin =
an email whenever files are restored... At least that way we can =
determine if someone is restoring files they shouldn't be.

Just some ideas for the developer!

Thanks,
Joe

--=20