[Box Backup] Exception: Cipher EVPFinalFailure (5/6)

Eric Cronin boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Tue May 1 20:46:06 BST 2007

--Apple-Mail-12-25587795

On May 1, 2007, at 2:17 PM, Eric Cronin wrote:

> Very strangely, this has been working fine for about 5 days now,
> which seems odd if it was and openssl bug.

Looking into it more, its not surprising at all, the bug is entirely
client-side having to do with encryption/decryption of blocks.
Basically the bug introduced in 0.9.8e changes EVP_encrypt/
EVP_decrypt such that they produce incompatible ciphertext from
earlier versions or other implementations of blowfish.

The correct solution is NOT what I did, unless you know you are
unable to upgrade/downgrade openssl for an extended period and need
backups in the meantime: once a new version of openssl is installed
on the client which corrects the bug your openssl 0.9.8e encrypted
blocks will now be unreadable.  The best solution is to downgrade to
0.9.8d or to patch 0.9.8e's source with <http://cvs.openssl.org/
chngview?cn=15978>, that one line patch is what broke compatibility.

Thanks,
Eric

--Apple-Mail-12-25587795
	name=PGP.sig