[Box Backup] Exception: Cipher EVPFinalFailure (5/6)

Eric Cronin boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Thu May 3 01:28:38 BST 2007

--Apple-Mail-1-128939796

I will send you the keys off-list.  I believe the procedure to
duplicate this would involve (at least)

*compile bbackupd linked against openssl 0.9.8c (d should also work
if I read CVS correctly, but c seems to be known to be different)
*create a new account on a bbstored matching the keys
*back up some files (the account was at about 20G total when this
happened)
*upgrade openssl on the client to 0.9.8e
*see if things still work...

There seems to be a dependency on either the key or the amount of
data backed up before the 0.9.8e switch (or the uploaded block
count?  this account was about a year old in lazy mode).  We have one
other machine which is at 0.9.8e right now (and started out at
0.9.8), and it is operating fine.  It is both newer and lower usage
than my account was...

As other tools which do block-based local encryption seem to have
been bitten, I'm not sure it is a bug in boxbackup (e.g. calling an
API wrong), but it is certainly possible box could work around it...

Thanks,
Eric