[Box Backup] Segmentation Fault

Chris Wilson boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Fri May 25 20:00:00 BST 2007

Hi Paul,

> I have a quick question about the use of alternate drive letters.
>
> I have the box backup installed on F:
>
> Is there a way to set a config variable in the config file so that when
> I add a path command to access the bbackupquery from anywhere it will
> default to F: and not C: for the config file?
>
> I know this is a very trivial request but I figured I would ask if this
> is possible.

Sorry, not at the moment. See ticket 12
[http://bbdev.fluffy.co.uk/trac/ticket/12] which is related.

The hardcoded path is intended to make life a bit easier for people who
have completely standard installations (in C:\Program Files\Box Backup).
I'm aware that this does not help users who have non-English systems, or
whose Windows is not installed on drive C.

I can think of a few possible options, but I don't know enough about
Windows standards to pick one. Can anyone enlighten me?

1. Drop the hardcoded path entirely. All users suffer equal pain and get
used to it.

2. Store the path in an environment variable. Not very windows-y.

3. Store the path in a registry key. Not very obvious that it's there, how
to change it, or how to "install" Box Backup if this is required
(currently there is no installer).

4. Leave the current hard-coded path, fix the inconsistent behaviour of
bbackupd and bbackupquery, and tell users who complain to read the
installation instructions, which specifically say "C:\Program Files\Box
Backup". :-)

Any other suggestions?