[Box Backup] Segmentation Fault

E.W. Peter Jalajas boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Sat May 26 04:58:11 BST 2007

Hi Chris,

(Dangit, my Yahoo Beta Email client doesn't seem to mark reply lines at all...sorry.)

> That might help a bit, but anyone who wanted to install in a non-standard
path would still have to hack about with their registry, wouldn't they?

Yeah, my registry discussion was all under the assumption of using an
installer like InstallJammer, so using the registry should be fairly
straightforward (without that, yeah, that might be too much for a user
installing by hand).

> Not sure about that, never used InstallJammer before. The screenshots on
their website are minimal. Does it feel like a proper Windows installer?
Does it come with an uninstaller? Does it appear in Add/Remove Programs?
Does anyone else have any feelings about positive or negative sides of
using InstallJammer versus the better-known NSIS?

Yeah, no, I don't know much about InstallJammer either, but when I went hunting for a FOSS installer for my Box Backup for Windows installs, I picked it because, responding to the "similar to" section of this page:
http://www.osalt.com/nullsoft-scriptable-install-system
IJ is cross platform. NSIS is Windows only, I believe, although it is a world-class installer, but I'm just not interested in Windows-only stuff.  And I have no interest in pascal (Inno) or java (Launch4j).

InstallJammer is _definitely_ a Windows-proper installer.  My GUI-only guy loves it.  Great uninstaller.  This page shows how it can be added to the Add/Remove Programs registry:
http://www.installjammer.com/docs104/index.html?CreateANewInstallStep-by-Step
and now that I check, I see it there on my box.  An uninstall item is also automatically placed in the Start, All Programs menu, and in the program directory.

(Should we start a new thread...?)

Thanks,
Pete