[Box Backup] Failed to setup location

E.W. Peter Jalajas boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Thu Sep 6 18:53:53 BST 2007

Hi Chris,

> Also, please could you try running the backup from the command line
> instead of as a service, to see if you get the same errors? I didn't test
> backing up mounted drives as a service.
> I seem to remember Charles once telling me that drive mappings were local
> to a given user, or were only created when the user logged in, and using
> their login credentials, which would imply that backing up a mapped drive
> as a service was doomed to fail.

Yes, that looks like it is the problem.  We tried it from the command line and it worked fine.
Now to figure out a solution...

For the record, we've stumbled across another little problem.  I noticed that when I was copying
the different versions of Box Backup into the directory, sometimes it would not let me overwrite
or delete bbackupd.exe unless I renamed it first, even though the service was stopped and removed,
and bbackupd was not in the Task Manager process list.  Related to that I think, was the weird
thing we saw this morning when the other Admin on the box logged in, he saw a series of several of
those 'Box Backup crashed, Report to Microsoft?' boxes.   So, I think what was happening was that
my testing was generating those boxes, but they were being sent to his "account" (maybe he
installed the original service under that account, but I'm sure I installed and removed it several
times under my account, which also is in the Admin group), and thus somewhat hanging the bbackupd
process, thus causing some strange symptoms that I've been seeing.  Not sure what to do about any
of the that.

Thanks for your patience.

Pete