[Box Backup] Failed to setup location

Chris Wilson boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Fri Sep 7 00:18:18 BST 2007

Hi Pete,

On Thu, 6 Sep 2007, E.W. Peter Jalajas wrote:

>> I seem to remember Charles once telling me that drive mappings were
>> local to a given user, or were only created when the user logged in,
>> and using their login credentials, which would imply that backing up a
>> mapped drive as a service was doomed to fail.
>
> Yes, that looks like it is the problem.  We tried it from the command
> line and it worked fine. Now to figure out a solution...

UNC support was broken since ages ago. I think I've fixed it and I've
uploaded a new client release, 1814, with the changes. Please could you
give it a shot, with UNC paths instead of drive letters in bbackupd.conf,
and let me know how it goes?

I've tested it from the command line, and running as a service with the
credentials of a user with login rights to the server, including password
entered in Services control panel. I hope it works when running as any
domain user.

> For the record, we've stumbled across another little problem.  I noticed
> that when I was copying the different versions of Box Backup into the
> directory, sometimes it would not let me overwrite or delete
> bbackupd.exe unless I renamed it first, even though the service was
> stopped and removed, and bbackupd was not in the Task Manager process
> list.  Related to that I think, was the weird thing we saw this morning
> when the other Admin on the box logged in, he saw a series of several of
> those 'Box Backup crashed, Report to Microsoft?' boxes.  So, I think
> what was happening was that my testing was generating those boxes, but
> they were being sent to his "account" (maybe he installed the original
> service under that account, but I'm sure I installed and removed it
> several times under my account, which also is in the Admin group), and
> thus somewhat hanging the bbackupd process, thus causing some strange
> symptoms that I've been seeing.  Not sure what to do about any of the
> that.

Sorry, that's Windows for you. I don't pretend to understand it. At least,
if Box Backupd doesn't crash then it shouldn't cause any problems.

Thanks again!