[Box Backup] Re: bbackupquery and german umlauts

Chris Wilson boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Sun Sep 23 20:04:54 BST 2007

Hi Magnus and Reinhard,

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007, Chris Wilson wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Sep 2007, Magnus Homann wrote:
>
>>> I think I remember that Martin discovered that editline is broken for
>>> international characters a while back. Of course, editline should be
>>> fixed, but I don't know who has time to do it.
>>
>> Yes, I also reported same error for the (unoffical) Ubuntu build a
>> while back. Is the bug in editline?
>
> It looks like it to me. It seems to disappear if you build Box without
> editline support. Also I tested the editline example program "fileman"
> (from libedit-20070831-2.10.tar.gz) and I coulnd't enter any special
> characters with AltGr (e.g. AltGr+a), whereas I can in "cat" and in a
> readline-enabled bash.

I found and fixed the bug, it was not in editline but in our code. We
never initialised the locale with setlocale(), and editline (unlike
readline) requires this to enable input of international characters.

The fix is in trunk and will be in the next snapshot which I send to
Reinhard (which might well be the first release candidate for 0.11 :-)

However, there is a bug in editline which may well make it impossible to
enter characters, or edit them properly, in multibyte locales. I haven't
been bitten by this yet so it's not high on my list of things to fix, as
it would be rather complicated and require converting most of editline to
use wide characters.