[Box Backup] Re: changing port for bbackupd

Jon Dye boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Fri Sep 28 09:58:50 BST 2007

--------------enig05F63CCBE572AA15901DE6E8

Andrew Guenther wrote:
> On Sep 27, 2007, at 6:25 AM, Jon Dye <jon at pecorous.co.uk> wrote:
>=20
>> Is it possible to change which port bbackupd connects to?
>>
>> My problem is as follows:
>>
>> I have three machines, A, B and C.
>> A runs bbackupd to backup to the bbstored on B.
>> B runs bbackupd to backup to the bbstored on C.
>>
>> I can't open port 2201 on C for access from B but I can ssh to C from =
>> and forward a local port on B to C.  So I forward port 2202 on B to po=
rt
>> to 2201 on C.  The problem is that the bbackupd client on B can't
>> connect to 2202 only 2201 and the bbstored on B is already on this por=
>> so I can't forward that port.
>=20
> Keep in mind that source ports and destination ports are always
> different. If all bbstored daemons are listening on 2201, those same
> servers when using bbackupd should pick a random high numbered port for=

> its outbound connection.

I realise that, the outgoing ports aren't a problem.  The problem is in
order to run a local bbstored (listening on port 2201) and to forward a
connection to a remote bbstored (with ssh listening on port 2201) is not
possible and changing the ports that bbackupd connects to is also not
possible.

> I think you are making more work for yourself then you need to. Have yo=
> tried everything strait up first?

I'm not sure what you mean by strait up?  I have tried stopping the
bbstored server on B and using ssh to forward from B to C on the usual
port and it works.  As it stands at the moment I can't run the bbstored
daemon on B and forward to C at the same time.

I'll probably have a play with the source to make the port configurable
when I have some free time.

JD

--=20
"If you've never seen an elephant ski then you've never been on acid!"
		- Eddie Izzard

--------------enig05F63CCBE572AA15901DE6E8