[Box Backup] Files are uploaded/patched daily even though they have not changed in weeks.

Matt Brown boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Tue Apr 8 23:30:26 BST 2008

Hi,

I am seeing a rather strange issue, which I am sure is down to what I
have done :-)

I have been backing up a linux server to my box backup server
(currently both running latest RC) for months without any problems -
however I decided as the server and the backup server is in the same
building it would be smarter to send the data to a remote server.

So I created a new bbstored on the remote server (a 1 & 1 root server)
and copied the same raw keys etc to it and the backup ran fine,
however due to 1 & 1 randomly reseting connections to their servers
(presumably to avoid the root servers being used in such a way) I was
forced to point the data back to the original server so at least the
data was being backed up - (the pipe would fail and box would fail to
continue once the connection failed without restarting the sync,
leaving me with incomplete backups).

This is where the strange issue is, every day I get an email with the
contents of the backup via the boxreporter.py script, and the contents
are the same + changed files for that day. To make sure it was not a
reporting issue, I ran the sync by hand and monitored the logs. Sure
enough the same files are upload or patched - but the files in
question have not changed for over a week now.

It appears somehow, the files in question are always seen as changed
and forces a sync or is cached (well thats the behavior) ?

Any ideas how I can debug this to work out what is going on ?

Could it be down to the maxdiffing time ?

Matt