[Box Backup] Connection fails during backup to remote server

Matt Brown boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Sun Apr 13 16:24:34 BST 2008

Hi Chris,

>> Apr 13 15:24:27 orion Backup (bbackupd)[10407]: Uploading complete
>> file:
>> /home/matt/3aitweb.tar.gz
>> Apr 13 15:59:10 orion Backup (bbackupd)[10407]: WARNING: Exception
>> thrown:
>> ConnectionException(Conn_TLSWriteFailed) at SocketStreamTLS.cpp(442)
>
> First of all, this looks like a classic SSL timeout. Did you enable
> the
> SslKeepAliveTime option in your client config? If not, don't do it
> yet, it
> would be helpful to debug the other issue first:

I dont think so, is this an option at compile time ? or a setting in
the bbackupd.conf ?

>> Apr 13 15:59:10 orion Backup (bbackupd)[10407]: ERROR: Exception
>> caught
>> (Connection TLSWriteFailed (Probably a network issue between client
>> and
>> server.) 7/33), reset state and waiting to retry...
>> Apr 13 15:59:20 orion Backup (bbackupd)[10407]: NOTICE: File
>> statistics: total
>> file size uploaded 127939748, bytes already on server 0, encoded
>> size 70796099
>>
>> A total of 68MB was transferred before the connection died on this
>> occasion.
>
> Did the client retry after this (about 100 seconds later) or not?

It didn't appear to (where would I have seen this happen ?), I was
watching the bandwidth in/out of the network and saw the connection go
idle, not further traffic appeared to occur and after a long idle out
the logs reported the failure as above.

Matt