[Box Backup] Connection fails during backup to remote server

Chris Wilson boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Mon Apr 14 00:04:21 BST 2008

Hi Matt,

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008, Matt Brown wrote:

> >OK, so would you expect bbackupd to retry automatically in case of a
> >network error during an (explicitly-requested) sync? I guess so, but I
> >could be wrong.
>
> Well, I would envisage that once a snapshot has been started that it would
> sync until its completion.

Yeah, seems reasonable to me too. I can send you a patch to test if you're
interested.

> All the clients we backup use the snapshot method out of hours mainly to
> reduce network traffic during the day.
>
> In this instance the connection/socket is reset presumably by the 1 & 1
> firewall states which in turn cause the connection to be
> severed/terminated ... obviously a couple of things can be re-arranged
> to make this work - i.e iptables or alternative location.

Seems like a good idea, but I agree that we should recover and try again
if the sync fails, even in snapshot mode (currently we don't).

> Would it be better to run all backups in lazy mode ? Well I could, but
> the reason for running backups in snapshot mode is to set a time slot
> when the bandwidth is off peak and to reduce traffic during the day -
> with my current DSL provider I get around 350GB of free bandwidth at
> night between 8pm and 8am - so it make sense to backup at these times,

Yeah, makes sense to me too.

> I am also guessing that once box incorporates mark states this will
> require a snapshot type sync ?

Sorry, what are "mark states"? Do you mean like a point-in-time snapshot
of all files on the filesystem at that time, to fix the deletion time
problem? If so, then I think we could just do snapshots at irregular
intervals, which is more or less exactly what we do now.

\ _/_/_/_//_/___/ | We are GNU : free your mind & your software |