[Box Backup] constant scan of local files on server

Chris Wilson boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Fri Apr 25 23:52:25 BST 2008

Hi Sean,

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008, admin at vancocomputing.net wrote:

> > It depends how you install it. If you installed from source, you get two
> parcels, client and server. This log message:
> >
> >> Apr 25 14:49:18 debian Box Backup (bbackupd)[6109]: NOTICE: Beginning
> scan of local files
> >
> > indicates that the client (bbackupd) is running.
>
> Now I must admit to be somewhat confused, and I apologize for having to
> ask some basic questions. I have not yet run the configuration script for
> the client, so I'm not sure where to go for the client options. Would this
> be the "../../bin/bbstored/bbstored testfiles/bbstored.conf" (shown in
> ps)?

bbstored is the server, so no. But if you have a bbackupd running, the
config file could well be on the command line of it. If not, the default
is probably /etc/box/bbackupd.conf.

> If so, that's a bit odd, as that path doesn't exist on my system.

It's probably relative to one of the test directories. This probably just
means that you ran the tests, and for some reason bbstored wasn't killed
after the test finished.

> It also seems I have the backup client running twice, and I'm not sure
> how that happened.

Yes, that is strange. Could you post the output from ps?

> How can I separate the two, or is it just a matter or executing the
> right binaries and options? I'm not sure that I should have the client
> running on my BoxBackup server.

It is, as you say, just a matter of executing the right binaries. If you
installed the client parcel, you could just remove the files listed in
parcels/scripts/install-backup-client:

  /usr/local/sbin/bbackupd
  /usr/local/sbin/bbackupquery
  /usr/local/sbin/bbackupctl
  /usr/local/sbin/bbackupd-config
  /usr/local/sbin/LICENSE.txt

> The only part that was a bit unclear was how to manage the certs,

Yes, I'm sorry that is a bit complicated. PKI is always quite a pain.

> but a howto mentioned in a past e-mail helped me be sure that I ended up
> doing it correctly (although not quite as suggested... I created and
> signed the certs on the same server).

Which HOWTO did you use? We should probably rewrite the installation
instructions.

> Just so you know when I'm finished I will write up the requirements for
> installing this on Debian for you, and others on the net, to use. There
> were quite a few installation pre-install requirements for compiling
> from source on Debian that weren't listed on your site.

Please do, thanks in advance for your help.

\ _/_/_/_//_/___/ | We are GNU : free your mind & your software |