[Box Backup] Mount points invented

Chris Wilson boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Sun Apr 27 20:27:44 BST 2008

Hi Johann,

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008, Johann Glaser wrote:

> Today I've used BoxBackup 0.11~rc2-3 (Debian Package) for the first time
> after it was updated from 0.10. There are now several of these error
> messages in /var/log/daemon.log:
>   Ignored directory: /home/mon: is a mount point; create a new location
>   if you want to back it up
>
> I didn't modify any config file or alter the disk layout for some time,
> so this error message is surely the effect of the new version of
> BoxBackup.

Indeed it is.

> I have several locations, where one is
>   home {
>     Path = /home
>     # some ExcludeDirs
>   }
> It is important to note that on my PC /home is a symlink to /small/home
> (because I changed the partition and directory layout quite some time
> ago and the old root partition is now mounted at /small (you guess the
> reason I changed the partitions :-) )).
>
> Contrary to the above mentioned error message there are _no_ mount
> points below /home, /small or /small/home. There are only 4
> subdirectories, each belonging to one user at the machine. All these 4
> subdirs have been refused by bbackupd.
>
> Could you please have a look whats the reason for this error message?

I know what the problem is. The filesystem of /small/* is different to the
one containing the symlink /home. We need to use lstat rather than stat to
identify the parent directory's filesystem when it's a symbolic link.

> How can I get my home directory backed up again as before?

You could change your backup locations to use /small/home instead of
/home. I'll look into fixing the test for the next rc.

\ _/_/_/_//_/___/ | We are GNU : free your mind & your software |