[Box Backup] Re: client connection error

Chris Wilson boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Mon Apr 28 23:41:36 BST 2008

Hi Sean,

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008, admin at vancocomputing.net wrote:

> > Could it be that the StoreHostname in bbackupd.conf is incorrect, or
> > that your firewall is blocking connections from the user that bbackupd
> > runs as?
>
> The top 10 lines of my bbackupd.conf file is listed below.
>
> Just for clarification, there is no software on the backup server (so
> there's nothing that can block by user), and the port forwarding is
> taking place "upstream" of the computer at a router. The Linksys router
> is in front of all computers but one (the one that I installed the
> client on). The client is open to the world and has a firewall
> installed, but allows outgoing traffic.
>
> I know there's no blockage from the either the firewall or the router
> because I can connect to port 2201 via other protocols (telnet and ssh).
> Having said that, I currently have the bbackupd StoreHostname set to the
> IP of the router, which is forwarding that port to the backup server
> (Yes I'm using NAT... this is just my temporary/testing environment.
> Eventually I'll bypass the router). If the NAT might be causing trouble,
> let me know and I'll try to get it onto a public IP. That could be
> difficult with my setup.

Just to check that I understood your setup correctly, the machines are
arranged something like this?

[bbackupd client] -- [internet] -- [NAT router] -- [bbstored server]

with the NAT router forwarding port 2201 to the bbstored server? That
should work.

And you can telnet, on the client, to port 2201 on the NAT router, and you
get connected to the bbstored server? (which tries to speak SSL to you)

> > Please could you run bbackupd with the -DVT options and tell us what it
> > prints out?
>
> The "/usr/local/bin/bbackupd -DVT" command returned this (please note that
> I'm configured for snapshot mode):
>
> 15:07:18 NOTICE: Starting daemon, version 0.11rc2, config:
> /etc/box/bbackupd.conf
> 15:07:18 Wait on command socket, delay = 1024000000

Please could you try requesting a sync with "bbackupctl sync" while
running bbackupd with -DVT and let me know what bbackupd says?

> DataDirectory = /var/bbackupd (what does this control? I can't find
> documentation on this line)

bbackupd stores temporary state files in there: the last_sync_start and
last_sync_finish marker files (which are not necessary for Box Backup
operation, but may be useful to admins) and the inode map, which is used
to track renamed files.

\ _/_/_/_//_/___/ | We are GNU : free your mind & your software |