[Box Backup] FeatureRequest: Mass Deletion Protection

Torsten boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Fri Aug 8 21:00:18 BST 2008

Hi Chris,

Am Thu, 7 Aug 2008 14:25:49 +0100 (BST)
schrieb Chris Wilson <chris at qwirx.com>:

> Hi Torsten,
>
> On Tue, 5 Aug 2008, Torsten wrote:
>
> > i build a little patch for the Feature Request "Mass Deletion
> > Protection".
> >
> > http://boxbackup.org/trac/wiki/FeatureRequests#MassDeletionProtection
> >
> > If a local directory does not exists but exists on the backup
> > store. And if this location is activated in bbackupd.conf then it
> > is not marked as deleted.
> >
> > I use this in conjunction with autofs and linux. Autofs does not
> > create a directory if the mount was not successfully.
> >
> > To activate this you have to extend the bbackupd.conf config file
> > with:
> >
> > KeepLocationIfNotFoundLocal = yes
> >
> > It would be nice, if somebody could tell me if this patch works for
> > you.
>
> Thanks for the patch! However, I thought of a simpler way of doing
> this. Now that we have a setting for how long to wait before deleting
> unused root directory entries, how about letting it be set to zero to
> disable deleting them forever? E.g.
>
> 	DeleteRedundantLocationsAfter = 0
>
> would change the default time of 172800 seconds (2 days) to "never
> delete".
>
> Would that do what you want?
>
> > I don't know, if the mailing list filters attachments. If so, where
> > to put the patch?
>
> Here is fine, but if you have a Trac account, putting it in the Trac
> bugtracker would be even better, ensuring that it doesn't get lost.
>
> Cheers, Chris.

thanks for your reply.

Changing delete time to "never delete" is not what i want. This would
prevent bb to delete the directory on the store if it is not activated
in bbackupd.conf anymore.

What i want is that: If the location is activated in bbackupd.conf and
it is not accessible in local directory - then bb should not stop
syncing and printing errors. It should print a warning to the logs and
then start syncing the next location. It should not mark the directory
as deleted. Do you think anybody else would need this? I hope you can
understand my english ...

DeleteRedundantLocationsAfter should be an easy patch. I could do this
if needed.

Good night
  Torsten