[Box Backup] Troubleshooting a 0.10

Chris Wilson boxbackup at boxbackup.org
Sat Aug 30 15:27:07 BST 2008

Hi Damien,

Sorry, I didn't notice that your last message had actually been sent to
the list. Sorry all for the noise.

On Sat, 30 Aug 2008, Damien B wrote:

> I just want to know if there is somewhere a guide to troubleshoot a 0.10
> install which has not been converted to 0.10.

I'm afraid there is very little. It was difficult to troubleshoot file
inclusion/exclusion problems with 0.10 which is why I added a lot of
options and code to make it easier in 0.11.

If you remove all Exclude and AlwaysInclude directives, do the files that
you expect to be backed up get backed up?

If not, can you describe the problem in more detail, e.g. listing
directories that didn't get backed up, and any messages that you do get in
the Box Backup logs?

> I did some changes in the configuration, starting from the folder where it
> seemed to have stopped assuming that boxbackup works in the alphabetical
> order, and it seems to me that it was blocked in /var/named/run-root, which is
> a mere 120KiB, but maybe confused by some inodes like those ones:
> [root at xxxx run-root]# ls -l dev
> total 0
> crw-r--r--  1 root root 1, 8 nov  3  2006 random
> crw-r--r--  1 root root 1, 9 nov  3  2006 urandom

Is this a mounted filesystem? That can confuse Box. In 0.11 mounted
filesystems are automatically excluded and must be specified as a separate
location in the configuration file.

If you have a proc filesystem mounted anywhere inside the backup location,
you must exclude it from 0.10, because it will completely confuse 0.10 and
may cause it to crash or hang forever.

Also, Box Backup does not back up special files such as these character
devices. It's not designed to.

Also, please do post your configuration file.

\ _/_/_/_//_/___/ | We are GNU : free your mind & your software |