[Box Backup] Mac NotifySysadmin.sh customizations

Eric Cronin boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Tue Feb 12 23:02:07 GMT 2008

On Feb 12, 2008, at 12:58 PM, James O'Gorman wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>
> On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 12:36:04PM -0500, Eric Cronin wrote:
>> Has anyone running box on Mac OS X done any customization of the
>> notification script?  I'm thinking particularly Growl
>> notification...  Right
>> now the script is somewhat useless on vanilla mac's due to postfix
>> being
>> unconfigured and disabled out of the box, and I'd like to fix it to
>> do
>> something for the MacPorts update.
>
> I'm not running Box on OS X, but are you sure it's not working? The
> script just runs /usr/sbin/sendmail, which doesn't require a
> locally-enabled SMTP service. Ben also wrote most of these scripts
> on OS
> X so they should work...

/usr/sbin/sendmail (which is the postfix variety) is less than
reliable on a stock osx install I've found, even before most ISPs
started blocking outgoing port 25...  About 75% of the time alerts sit
in the mailq until I "postfix start" on my laptop.

The script works fine if the osx box is more of a "server" (and then
has a unfiltered IP, configured hostname, postfix running for retries
etc).

> When you say Growl notification, do you mean the MailMe action?
> Otherwise I'm not sure it would be much use, unless someone were
> watching the console 24x7 :-)

For desktops/laptops running boxbackup someone's watching the console
pretty regularly, especially if the growl setting is not to auto-
dismiss alerts from bbackupd...  Doesn't make sense all the time or as
a default, but is nice when the conditions are there.

Thanks,
Eric