[Box Backup] Adding files from usb hdds

Timothy Wilson boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Tue Feb 19 23:54:30 GMT 2008

Hello guys,

I've been having some success with boxbackup, so thank you for writing
and maintaining the program!

I now have a problem where I have a couple of remote machines that I
want to move to boxbackup, but they have more data than I care to
download. So rather than sucking down multiple gigabytes of data
through my small internet pipe, I was thinking I could just backup the
targets to a usb hdd, and then plug it into the server to sync off.

But how to get the data into the right account? The approach I was
thinking of taking, would be to install the backup client on the
server, create a new account for the remote machine, but point the
backup config file's targets to the mounted hdd instead of the remote
machine. However, I think that will muck up the paths; ie it will be
backing up /mnt/hdd/home rather than /home. Is there a way to rename
the paths, or am I going about this the wrong way? Is there a better
approach?

I haven't seen anything about this on the wiki :(

Kind regards,
Timothy.