[Box Backup] SSH Connection breaking up

Guno Heitman boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Wed Jan 9 19:19:35 GMT 2008

Chris Wilson wrote:
> One interesting thing is that you were running bbackupd (the client) on
> the same machine as sshd (the server). This isn't impossible but it does
> imply that your architecture is somewhat strange. Perhaps you're backing
> up to a machine on DSL with a dynamic IP address, from a server with a
> static address? Or did I misunderstand the situation/configuration?

It's something like that indeed. My backup server is in a subnet and
hence not directly accessible from the outside. The backup client has a
static address, so when the server powers up it 'ssh -R's to the client
machine, making it possible for the client to reach the server's
boxbackup port.

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll look into the issue a bit further in
the following days.

Guno