[Box Backup] boxbackup 0.11rc1 - Apple PPC G4 450 Mhz - Debian Etch (stable)

Chris Wilson boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Sun Jan 20 15:09:49 GMT 2008

Hi Tobias,

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008, Tobias Balle-Petersen wrote:

> Chris Wilson wrote:
> > > I think this is due to the machine being slow (test takes more than 40
> > > seconds). Is it reasonable for the test to fail on a slow machine?
> >
> > Yes, very reasonable, and that's not a fast machine.
>
> What I mean is: Maybe slower machines should pass the test? That is, the
> criteria for passing the test should be, say, 30 seconds. What do you
> think?

The current criteria is 20 seconds and your machine took 58. 30 seconds
would not have been enough for the test to pass for you, and I don't know
how long it took before the bug was fixed that caused this test to be
created in the first place. I do know that it takes more than 20 and
less than 40 seconds in a VMware vm on my laptop.

Anyone else have suggestions for a sane time threshold for this test
(diffing 200MB of zeroes), taking into account that any choice will be a
tradeoff between old hardware and detecting inefficient code, the original
purpose of the test?

Maybe we could run a quick timer loop and base the threshold on that?

\ _/_/_/_//_/___/ | We are GNU : free your mind & your software |