[Box Backup] Backuping inversely

Per Reedtz Thomsen boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Sat Jan 26 07:10:26 GMT 2008

On 1/25/08 8:10 PM, Pablo Fernandez wrote:
> Hi
>

> On Fri, 2008-01-25 at 23:18 +0000, Chris Wilson wrote:
>

>> Why do you want to keep a schedule in the first place? Why not just let
>> the clients stream backups at their own speed, when they want to? The
>> server should be perfectly capable of handling that.
>>

> This would allow you to set and manage backup policies from a
> centralized place. Think bacula director. Think for example in the case
> where backup is modeled as SaaS and clients are the one that are not
> supposed to dictate their policy. Given a scenario like this where SLAs
> are subject to contracts a central management or some sort of control is
> quite important.

I think the philosophy of Box Backup is somewhat counter to the
centralized management strategy. The basic principle of Box (IMO at
least) is that clients will backup when they have something to back up,
not when someone tells them to. If a desktop machine is rebooted while
it's backing up, with Box it will simply pick up where it left off when
it comes back to life. If you were centrally managing this type of
backup, you could be in a situation where the backup would have to be
invalidated, and not usable to restore from; and of course since the
backup window for that machine was passed there would potentially be no
backup for that day. Box is designed to handle these types of faults in
stride.

The centralized backup strategy seems to me to be much more oriented
towards data centers, with servers that are expected to be up 24x7, and
where you are backing up databases, etc. In those cases you clearly need
to know when you can expect to have the database backup in a safe place
off site, no question about it. But that is a very different set of
requirements from the reliable backup of PCs.

Both approaches are completely valid, and have their place, in networks
large and small, and while I think it would be possible (maybe even
desirable) to build an extension to Box that could do this, it is a big
undertaking, and would require significant effort.

I agree with Chris that I would probably not use the central management,
because of the type of clients that I have connecting to my servers. 95%
of the machines that I back up are remote (on DSL or WiMax connections)
at the business offices of small businesses in my local area. The fact
that Box simply connects when there is something to do, is perfect for
backing up PCs. For servers, I use bbackupctl sync to get a scheduled
backup.

I certainly don't want this diatribe to sound like I am opposed in some
way to adding these features to Box, but from a selfish perspective, I
would rather have more features added on the
back-up-a-PC/laptop-in-a-reliable-way front...

My $0.02,
Per

--
Per Reedtz Thomsen | Reedtz Consulting, LLC | F: 209 883 4119
V: 209 883 4102    |   pthomsen at reedtz.com  | C: 209 996 9561