[Box Backup] Two backup-servers

Jeroen van Pelt / Skool Automatisering boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Wed Jan 30 07:44:06 GMT 2008

Currently we are researching the possibility to use DRBD to keep to
servers in sync. At the moment we are using DRBD to keep a set of two
iSCSI servers in sync. This works wonderfully; we can take down either
server without the Vmware guests running from it on separate Vmware
hosts being interrupted. Automatic resync makes maintenance a breeze.

What we are thinking about doing for our BoxBackup setup (we have two
completely separate setups/servers right now), is to set up two servers
with lots of disk space syncing a resource with DRBD. Then we would
serve this syncing resource through iSCSI to two separate "front end"
BoxBackup servers that we would make HA through something like
heartbeat.

This way you have data redundancy (between the two DRBD boxes) and HA
through your front-end server. I'd imagine one would be able to this
also with just two server acting as front-end and storage at the same
time.

Does anyone see any caveats?

--
Jeroen