[Box Backup] Feature Request

Chris Wilson boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Fri Jun 20 20:27:25 BST 2008

Hi Bjarne,

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008, Bjarne Carlsen wrote:

> fre, 20 06 2008 kl. 18:52 +0100, skrev Chris Wilson:
> > A simpler workaround, that does preserve client security, is to have
> > the client run a local bbstored, which saves files to local storage,
> > and then to send off a portable storage device containing the
> > encrypted files to the server operator and switch their configuration
> > to back up to the server instead. This way, their keys are never
> > divulged to the server operator or anyone else.
>
> The trouble with this workaround is (as I see it from my end), that most
> clients are Windows and as such cannot run bbstored - or am I wrong in
> this?

bbstored does run on Windows since 0.10 with some limitations, i.e. only
one connection at once. It's not heavily tested (I assume that nobody uses
it in production) but it's used by the unit tests on Windows and passes
them. It should be enough to create a local backup with.

\ _/_/_/_//_/___/ | We are GNU : free your mind & your software |