[Box Backup] Regex causes bbackupd to stop working

Chris Wilson boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Fri Jun 20 21:13:53 BST 2008

Hi Tobias,

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008, Tobias Roth wrote:

> >> I just discovered that bbackupd stops doing any backupping when I add a
> >> particular line in my previously working config:
> >>
> >>     ExcludeFilesRegex = *.core$
> >
> > What version of Box Backup are you using? 0.11 should report an error in
> > the regular expression (in the logs, not in bbackupctl).
>
> Indeed, it does, via syslog:
>
> Jun 20 22:01:30 default bbackupd[3372]: Exception caught (Common
> BadRegularExpression 1/31), reset state and waiting to retry...

It should have logged the failed regular expression just before this, as
well. Something like this:

  ERROR: Invalid regular expression: *.core$

Did it?

> I expected to see it in bbackupctl output since I recently saw a config
> file parsing error there. Of course they are not the same kind of errors
> and it might not be possible to show them both in the same place.

Yes, regular expression errors are only detected when building the exclude
list, and bbackupctl doesn't need to do that so it doesn't try.

> In any case, a line number in the above error message would be nice :-)

Unfortunately that would take quite a bit of work. Isn't the error
message giving the failed regexp enough to find it in the config file?

\ _/_/_/_//_/___/ | We are GNU : free your mind & your software |