[Box Backup] [OT ] - Products that connect many disk to a server?

Per Reedtz Thomsen boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Tue Mar 25 17:10:36 GMT 2008

On 3/25/08 3:18 AM, Tobias Balle-Petersen wrote:
> Hello...
>
> I'm happily using boxbackup, but need to build a server with a lot of
> diskspace. I feel that traditional RAID-products are expensive and
> overkill (Am I wrong) in my situation (using disks for backup).
>
> What I really want to do is to attach a bunch of disks (8+) and run
> software-raid on my Debian server.
>
> I have found these interesting looking products:
> http://www.macgurus.com/productpages/sata/BurlyPortMultiEncl.php
> http://www.datoptic.com/cgi-bin/web.cgi?product=RM12_S2P&detail=yes
>

> Any suggestions or comments on the subject from other bb-users?
In looking around a bit I found this:
http://www.norcotek.com/item_detail.php?categoryid=12&modelno=ds1220
which is a 12-bay eSata enclosure, which can be had for $840 (without
drives). I have no experience with Norco or any affiliation with them at
all, so I don't know if they are any better or worse than other stuff...

If I were building a backup server today, that's probably what I'd do: a
server with one or more eSata controllers, and one or more boxes like
this. Load on bb store server is very low (at least in my case), so
there is no reason to worry too much about CPU, etc.

My $0.02,
Per

--
Per Reedtz Thomsen | Reedtz Consulting, LLC | F: 209 883 4119
V: 209 883 4102    |   pthomsen at reedtz.com  | C: 209 996 9561