[Box Backup] Restoring a corrupted archive?

Magnus Homann boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Thu May 1 07:20:00 BST 2008

Chris Wilson wrote:

> This really should not be happening. Is this all data that you copied from
> the remote system, i.e. no remnants of your old corrupt local backup? Is
> it possible that the local copy got corrupted while it was being rsynced?

Yes, it is possible, even likely, that the archive somehow got corrupted
while rsynced.

> Also, were you running compare regularly on your files? When did you last
> run it? It's possible that these errors were in your store for a while but
> never got detected because compare wasn't run.

Never run compare, I'm afraid. Looking in the mail logs for this list I
did have problems with som files when I started using boxbackup. Can't
remember if it got resolved.

> How exactly did your local filesystem get corrupted? Was it user error or
> a hardware failure? Could bad hardware have been slowly corrupting the
> local copy?

I think the controller HW got messed up, the two disks that it handles
got corrupted.

> Do you have compressed encrypted files over 2GB in the remote repository?

No.

> When you say 0xbfd9 is recreated, do you know by what? If it's by
> bbstoreaccounts check fix, could you tell me what it outputs when it does
> this?

Yes, by running bbstoreaccounts check fix.

I don't have a log right now, but in short.

In phase 2, check diectories... a couple of hundred "File ID xxx has
different container ID, probably moved".

In phase 4, fix unattached objects "Recretating missing directory bfd9"
amd the followed by thousands(?) of "Object xyz is unattached".

After phase 5 and 6 finish without problems, I get "3225 errors found".

The same thig repeats if I remove the bfd9 file from the archive and run
bbstoreaccounst again.

I hope this helps, or i can send yu more information later today.

That soime of the fiels went missing I can live with, but I want to get
as much as possible. During my operationms, the size of the archive has
   gone from 211 GB down to about 130 GB, is that bbstoreaccounts check
fix work?
--
Magnus Homann