[Box Backup] lazy and snapshot together, file formats and files changing often

Louis-Dominique Dubeau boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Fri May 16 20:30:47 BST 2008

Hello everyone,

I'm currently testing and evaluating boxbackup.  I have three questions:

1.  Is it possible to set up boxbackup to have a client perform both
lazy backups and snapshots of a single set of files, to a single backup
store?

e.g. Boxbackup would generally be in lazy mode except that once a day it
would perform a snapshot.  The only thing changing between the two kinds
of backups would be the lazy vs snapshot mode.  All other parameters
would remain the same.

2. It is possible to access the backup store outside of boxbackup?

What I mean is that if the store was a collection of .tar.gz files
encrypted with gnupg, then I would just need gnupg, tar and gunzip to
peek at the contents of the store.  Is the backup store created by
boxbackup like this or does it have some sort of boxbackup-specific
format?

3. As a small quick and dirty test, I've set boxbackup to perform lazy
backups my ~./mozilla directory.  I figured there are enough changes in
there to trigger lazy backups.

Anyway, I found that some of the files in the cache maintained by
firefox are not backed up even after several hours.  Then I thought that
maybe files which change too often are never backed up.  The way I
understand lazy backups, boxbackup waits until a file has remained
unchanged for some time before it backs it up.  So if the file changes
too often maybe that time period never elapses and the file is never
backed up.

So can it happen that a file which is frequently changing never gets
picked up by a lazy backup?  Must I force a snapshot at some point?

Thanks,
Louis