[Box Backup] Asymmetric vs symmetric encryption

Peter Jalajas, GigaLock Backup Services boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Fri May 30 13:30:11 BST 2008

Hi Greg,

I don't have the skills to really comment on your idea (although my
gut says that I can't see Box Backup changing to a password model as
you propose), but you raise an important issue.

What we _could_ do is provide a fairly long list of suggested methods
for securely making available the FileEncKeys.raw file (I think that's
the one you mean; as I phrase it to my customers, "Without that file,
you have no backup; with that file, someone else owns your backup.").

Suggestions might include, in no particular order yet:

a. Burning it to CD and putting it into a safe.
b. Strongly encrypting _copies_ of it with GPG (either symmetric or
PKI) and putting those strongly-encrypted copies in several fairly
secure areas, including off-site.
c. Secret-splitting it among trusted colleagues, including off-site.

Something like that.

I personally have a pile of them encrypted into 7z files (I used 7z
for convenient secure distribution to my Windows-based clients; I will
like change that back to GPG for boring reasons we can discuss
separately).
.
Thanks,
Pete