[Box Backup] Windows Boxbackup path configuration and eventlogs

Chris Wilson boxbackup at boxbackup.org
Sun Nov 2 23:00:13 GMT 2008

Hi Brendon,

On Sun, 2 Nov 2008, Brendon Baumgartner wrote:

> I'm using win32 build 1857, which I believe is the latest.

It is the latest precompiled release for Windows, but the LogFile feature
that I mentioned has been added since. I'm afraid I haven't released a new
Windows build with this feature.

> In about 12 hours, there are ~420 events in the logs. An example of some
> of them are at the end. It would be nice to configure detail that goes
> to the event log and flat file log separately. Maybe this is possible?

Yes, it is possible with newer code, but you'll have to either compile it
yourself or wait for us to release a new Windows build.

> I notice if I restart the agent (stop/start) it crashes. If I stop the
> agent, wait a few minutes, and then start it, it doesn't crash.

Yes, I noticed that too and it's already fixed in trunk, same comment
applies as above.

> Many of my errors in the eventlog are about file open errors. I have
> attempted to add exclusions, which I think I finally got right, but
> it'll be awhile before I get the exclusion list correct. Windows has a
> lot of open files!
>
> Some errors:
> ERROR: Exception caught (Connection Protocol_UnexpectedReply (Server
> probably reported an error.) 7/47), reset state and waiting to retry...

This is bad, it probably means that something is wrong on the server.
Did you get any error messages in the server log around this time?

> ERROR: Exception caught (Connection TLSWriteFailed (Probably a network
> issue between client and server.) 7/33), reset state and waiting to
> retry...

This may mean that the connection to the server timed out after 15 minutes
of inactivity. What is your MaximumDiffingTime and KeepAliveTime set to on
the client?

\ _/_/_/_//_/___/ | Stop nuclear war http://www.nuclearrisk.org |