[Box Backup] Which notifyScript is used?

Roy boxbackup at boxbackup.org
Wed Nov 19 23:25:30 GMT 2008

Chris Wilson wrote:
> Hi Roy,
>
> On Thu, 20 Nov 2008, Roy wrote:
>

>> I had some troubles with the notify script that was in the latest
>> Windows release. But that bug is solved by Chris now. However at the
>> moment, I receive after every run 2 mails from Box Backup with an unknow
>> error. The message in eventlog never showed that the notify script was
>> started with an unknow parameter, only backup-start/-finish/-ok. The
>> strange thing is that in the config file I have:
>>
>> NotifyScript = cscript "C:\Program Files\Box Backup\NotifySysAdmin.vbs"
>>
>> And I changed in that particular script the subjtmpl, but the mails remain the
>> same. Also I commented out the part of the unknown error, but still I receive
>> that kind of errors. I don't understand this, which script is executed? How
>> can I check this? And does Box Backup cache this script somewhere?
>>

> Box Backup doesn't cache the script, but is this on Windows Vista? If so,
> you may be editing a copy in the shadow directory in C:\Users\Your
> User\Local\Virtual Store\Program Files\Box Backup without realising it.
> The original copy would still be in C:\Program Files\Box Backup and
> bbackupd would still be running that copy. The easiest solution is to
> change your bbackupd.conf to point to the virtual store directory.
>
> Otherwise, please let us know what version of Windows you are running and
> please attach your current NotifySysAdmin.vbs and an example of the emails
> that you receive from it.
>
> Cheers, Chris.

Hi Chris,

I'm running Windows XP Pro, so no Vista here...

Copy of the notifyscript:
Dim hostname
Dim account
Dim from
Dim sendto
Dim subjtmpl
Dim subject
Dim body
Dim smtpserver

Set WshNet = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
hostname = WshNet.ComputerName

account = "0x1"
from = "<mail address>"
sendto = "<another mail address>"
smtpserver = "192.168.5.1"
subjtmpl = "(root) BACKUP PROBLEM on host " & hostname

Set args = WScript.Arguments

If args(0) = "store-full" Then
    subject = subjtmpl & " (store full)"
    body =    "The store account for "&hostname&" is full." & vbCrLf & _
        vbCrLf & _
        "=============================" & vbCrLf & _
        "FILES ARE NOT BEING BACKED UP" & vbCrLf & _
        "=============================" & vbCrLf & _
        vbCrLf & _
        "Please adjust the limits on account "&account&" on server
"&hostname&"." _
        & vbCrLf
    SendMail from,sendto,subject,body
ElseIf args(0) = "read-error" Then
    subject = subjtmpl & " (read errors)"
    body =    "Errors occured reading some files or directories for
backup on "&hostname&"." _
            & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & _
            "===================================" & vbCrLf & _
            "THESE FILES ARE NOT BEING BACKED UP" & vbCrLf & _
            "===================================" & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & _
            "Check the logs on "&hostname&" for the files and
directories which caused" & _
            "these errors, and take appropraite action." & vbCrLf &
vbCrLf & _
            "Other files are being backed up." & vbCrLf
    SendMail from,sendto,subject,body
ElseIf args(0) = "backup-error" Then
    subject = subjtmpl & " (read errors)"
    body =    "An error occurred during the backup on "&hostname&"." _
        & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & _
        "==========================" & vbCrLf & _
        "FILES MAY NOT BE BACKED UP" & vbCrLf & _
        "==========================" & vbCrLf & _
        vbCrLf & _
        "Check the logs on "&hostname&" for more " & _
        "information about the error, " & vbCrLf & _
        "and take appropriate action." & vbCrLf
    SendMail from,sendto,subject,body
ElseIf args(0) = "backup-start" Or args(0) = "backup-finish" Or args(0)
= "backup-ok" Then
    ' do nothing for these messages by default
'Else
'    subject = subjtmpl & " (unknown)"
'    body =    "The backup daemon on "&hostname&" reported an unknown
error. Argument: "&args(0)&" | " _
'        & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & _
'        "==========================" & vbCrLf & _
'    "FILES MAY NOT BE BACKED UP" & vbCrLf & _
'        "==========================" & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & _
'        "Please check the logs on "&hostname&"." & vbCrLf
'    'SendMail from,sendto,subject,body
End If

Function CheckSMTPSvc()
    Set objWMISvc = GetObject("winmgmts:" _
        & "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\.\root\cimv2")
    Set colSMTPSvc = objWMISvc.ExecQuery("Select * From Win32_Service " _
        & "Where Name='SMTPSVC'")
    If colSMTPSvc.Count > 0 Then
        CheckSMTPSvc = True
    Else
        CheckSMTPSvc = False
    End If
End Function

Sub SendMail(from,sendto,subject,body)
    Set objEmail = CreateObject("CDO.Message")
    Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    Dim cdoschema
    cdoschema = "http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/"

    With objEmail
        .From = from
        .To = sendto
        .Subject = subject
        .TextBody = body
        If CheckSMTPSvc = False Then
            .Configuration.Fields.Item(cdoschema & "sendusing") = 2
            .Configuration.Fields.Item(cdoschema & "smtpserver") =
smtpserver
            .Configuration.Fields.Item(cdoschema & "smtpserverport") = 25
            .Configuration.Fields.Update
        End If
    End With
    On Error Resume Next
    rc = objEmail.Send
    If rc Then
        WshShell.Exec "eventcreate /L Application /ID 201 /T WARNING " _
            & "/SO ""Box Backup"" /D """ & args(0) _
            & " notification sent to " & sendto & "."""
    Else
        WshShell.Exec "eventcreate /L Application /ID 202 /T ERROR " _
            & "/SO ""Box Backup"" /D ""Failed to send " & args(0) _
            & " notification to " & sendto & "."""
    End If
End Sub

Copy of the mail I receive:

The backup daemon on hz-server reported an unknown error.

FILES MAY NOT BE BACKED UP

Please check the logs on hz-server.

Cheers,

Roy