[Box Backup] Which notifyScript is used?

David H Kaufman boxbackup at boxbackup.org
Thu Nov 20 14:53:44 GMT 2008

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 13:07:47 +0100, Roy <boxbackup at hostingbrothers.nl>
wrote:
> Chris Wilson wrote:
>> The notify script on Unixes is generated when you run bbackupd-config,
>> so either you need to run it again after upgrading, or manually edit the
>> script, as described on the wiki's Upgrading page.
>>
>> Cheers, Chris.
>>

> Hi Chris,
>
> Why is this file generated and not already available in the parcel? On
> upgrading, you never run bbackupd-config, because that would overwrite
> your current config. So you're stuck with an old version of the notify
> script. Isn't it beter to put it in the parcel and maybe put the config
> parameters in bbackupd.conf?

Hi Chris & Roy,

I'll agree that this very confusing. I spent a while trying to figure out
where the notify script came from when I did the boxbackup 0.11 package for
Gentoo, and finally punted on trying to upgrade it automatically. (The
package just prints a generic warning.)

Now that I know the answer, there are probably some things that could be
improved in the Gentoo package.

Thanks
David