[Box Backup] Changes in bbackupd.conf ignored

boxbackup at boxbackup.org boxbackup at boxbackup.org
Mon Sep 15 19:22:08 BST 2008

Chris Wilson schrieb:
> Hi Gerhard,
>
> On Mon, 15 Sep 2008, gerhard.oettl.ml at ogersoft.at wrote:
>
>> After that change I restarted the boxbackup-client (bbackupd) and did a
>> new:
>>
>> bbackupctl sync
>>
>> This was unbelievably fast and space efficient. It endet after 1 second with a
>> successful message and does not need one MB space more on the server!
>
> bbackupctl sync does not wait for the sync to finish, it returns as soon
> as it's started.

So the following output:

bbackupctl sync

Using configuration file /etc/boxbackup/bbackupd.conf
Daemon configuration summary:
  AutomaticBackup = false
  UpdateStoreInterval = 0 seconds
  MinimumFileAge = 0 seconds
  MaxUploadWait = 0 seconds
Succeeded.

is a little missleading for a newbe like me - sounds like it finished uploading.

> You want "sync-and-wait" for that.

The boxbackup version of the 0.10+really0.10-1ubuntu3 package does not know this
parameter:

bbackupctl sync-and-wait

Using configuration file /etc/boxbackup/bbackupd.conf
Daemon configuration summary:
  AutomaticBackup = false
  UpdateStoreInterval = 0 seconds
  MinimumFileAge = 0 seconds
  MaxUploadWait = 0 seconds
ERROR. (Check command spelling)

And the manpage does not mention a "sync-and-wait" though it sounds like it does
what I  expected that "bbackupctl sync" would do ;-)

> Or just check your
> system logs to see when it says "finished scanning local files">
>
>> So it looks like bbackupquery recognizes the changed bbackupd.conf, but
>> bbackupctl does not.
>
> bbackupd has to recognise it. Did you run bbackupctl reload to tell it to
> reload the config file?

I did a /etc/init.d/boxbackup-client restart

Watching tcpdump on port 2201 for a while I would say it works heavyly and I
have to be more patient.

thanks
gerhard