[Box Backup] Compile Boxi from tarball or trunk?

Chris Wilson boxbackup at boxbackup.org
Sat Apr 4 09:08:40 BST 2009

Hi Achim,

On Fri, 3 Apr 2009, Achim wrote:

>> Zlib is required for boxi because it's required for box backup.
>
> Well, I use the zlib and zlib-devel that is provided by Cygwin for now, but
> the standalone library is of course also a valid choice.

OK, will try to switch to the mingw one when I get a chance.

>>> --with-cppunit-prefix=/usr/local
>>
>> What is this doing in the wx configuration line?
>
> This was just a try to see if the manually compiled CPPunit (as opposed
> to the Cygwin package) would work: it does not, as you have seen from
> the error messages. The directive is a perfectly valid wx configuration
> command.
>
> The errors described in the previous post happen with cygwin CPPunit and
> the manually compiled and installed CPPunit (in /usr/local).

wxwidgets shouldn't need cppunit at all, so there should be no need for
this option. You could try to build it --without-cppunit instead.
Alternatively. I have cppunit 1.10.2 installed (cross-compiled for mingw
per boxi instructions) and wxwidgets detects and uses it, so it is at
least possible to make it work.

>>> * * * wxStackFrame and wxStackWalker * * *
>>> wxStackFrame and wxStackWalker are not available even after the
>>> changes in
>>> setup.h.in and the corresponding MSW file.
>>> change following lines (around 82) in
>>> /usr/local/include/wx-2.8/wx/msw/chkconf.h
>>> # define wxUSE_ON_FATAL_EXCEPTION 1
>>> # define wxUSE_CRASHREPORT 1
>>> # define wxUSE_STACKWALKER 1
>>
>> You can't just change that file, it will result in link errors as you
>> saw. You have to get wx to use and install the correct version when
>> compiling.
>>
>>> Does this perhaps von MSVC++? From the file:
>>
>> Yes, some of these don't work with mingw.
>
> Perhaps I am missing something here: You are saying that Boxi is
> compilable with Cygwin native (MinGW). At the same time, Boxi relies on
> wxStackwalker, which in turn only becomes available when compiling a wx
> application with MSVC++ (as per the above comments in chkconf.h).
>
> It appears to me that Boxi in fact mandates the use of MSVC++, in order
> to be able to use wxStackwalker.

Yes, but that is a bug, not by design. I hadn't completed a cygwin build
since I introduced the stack walker dependency. I'm about to check in a
fix that removes the requirement for it.

> Would it perhaps be possible to remove this dependency on non-free
> software by making the use of wxStackwalker configurable?

When I check in that fix, it will simply not be used if wxWidgets doesn't
support it on your platform.