[Box Backup] ACL support

Achim boxbackup at boxbackup.org
Sat Apr 11 17:33:15 BST 2009

Hello Alexandre:

On Thu, 9 Apr 2009 19:58:09 +0100 (BST), Chris Wilson <chris at qwirx.com>
wrote:
>> any chance for you guys to support ACL ?
>
> What kind of ACLs? We do support POSIX ACLs (implemented using extended
> attributes) on all platforms except freebsd, as far as I know. We don't
> yet support Windows ACLs.

Perhaps this is a good moment to share my (limited) research on Windows
ACLs with the group (see references below). In general, perhaps there is a
way to save the ACLs on a per-folder basis to a separate file, and
restoring the ACLs from that file as well?

This could be optionally available funcionality (in case we use GPL'ed
SetACL) triggered by the notify.vbs script. The resultin ACL storage files
would have to be included in restore/backup automatically, though.

Best regards and happy Easter holidays, Achim

SetACL, a gpl tool for all Windows versions with ACLs
<http://setacl.sourceforge.net/>

Built-in tools:
Vista, Server 2003 SP2:
=======================
save ACLS: icacls * /save aclfile.txt
restore ACLs: icacls /restore aclfile.txt
<http://thelazyadmin.com/blogs/thelazyadmin/archive/2007/06/28/icacls-exe-acl-command-line-management.aspx>

XP, 2000:
=========
cacls.exe, XCacls.vbs, XCacls.exe
<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;825751>
<http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B135268&x=0&y=12>

I did not find a way to save the ACLs displayed by (x)cacls.exe to a
file...

A more detailed view is available in this article from MS Security Watch
"Tools for Managing ACLs":
<http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2007.07.securitywatch.aspx>