[Box Backup] Non-ASCII file and folder names crash Boxi at restore but not at backup

Chris Wilson boxbackup at boxbackup.org
Tue Apr 21 21:07:45 BST 2009

--8323328-383866341-1240344465=:5211

Hi Achim,

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009, Achim wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 21:46:41 +0100 (BST), Chris Wilson <chris at qwirx.com>
> wrote:
>> I doubt that many people are using Boxi at all. The last published
>> binary is quite old and missing a lot of important features.
>
> What do you think about making the latest builds available for download
> for Windows? My company would be happy to sponsor the builds and the
> download location, perhaps this will expose Boxi to more potential
> testers.

The latest build is already done on my personal machine, while I was
working to help you to get it built, and I put my downloads on Sourceforge
so there's no need for sponsorship in either case. My problem is not
money but time. I could use some help with Boxi, and I could certainly use
some interest in it, which has been lacking so far, and the main reason
why I have not bothered to invest a lot of effort in it recently. I have
preferred to focus on Box Backup which has an active user community.

> The configuration files are definitely one area of problems. Another one
> are the actual names of the backed up files: For instance, backing up with
> Box Backup works fine for ä.test, but restoring with Boxi fails (as
> outlined in more details in my earlier message).

OK, the latter should definintely not happen. There is even a test case
for it in Box Backup which I could port to Boxi. I assume this only
affects Windows users, however.

>> I was trying to figure out how to put Unicode characters into C++
>> strings (wxWidgets wxString objects) but I haven't worked it out yet.
>
> I hope that I can provide you some feedback soon about the exact corner
> cases.

If you could figure out how to do this one thing that would save me a lot
of time working it out for myself. And preferably provide some sample
strings encoded this way in C++ source code so that I can drop them into
the unit tests.

--8323328-383866341-1240344465=:5211--