[Box Backup] boxi for windows

scartomail boxbackup at boxbackup.org
Sat Aug 1 09:36:40 BST 2009

--0-1269091288-1249115800=:90912

Hi Chris,=0A=0AThanks for the update.=0A=0AYou wrote:=0AThe intention is th=
at Boxi will be used to create, maintain and test configuration files, run =
interactive backups, restores and compares, and manage the daemon or Window=
s service for unattended automated backups. The last part is currently not =
working. Some code was written for it a long time ago, but it is currently =
disabled and probably doesn't work. It's my intention to finish that code o=
nce the interactive features are working properly.=0A=0AThat sounds promisi=
ng.=0AWith interactive features you mean the complete GUI as it is now?=0AI=
 can test that for you, the we can move on completing it I hope.=0AFor now =
I just set it up to be run from the runkey in the registry or use the sched=
ular.=0A=0AAchim just gave me al lot of usefull information.=0AI'll start w=
orking with that first.=0A=0ARgds Edo=0A=0A=0A=A0=0A=0A=0A=0A______________=
__________________=0AFrom: Chris Wilson <chris at qwirx.com>=0ATo: boxbackup at b=
oxbackup.org=0ASent: Friday, July 31, 2009 1:48:51 AM=0ASubject: Re: [Box B=
ackup] boxi for windows=0A=0AHi Edo,=0A=0AOn Thu, 30 Jul 2009, scartomail w=
rote:=0A=0A> Thanks for the response.=0A> I can't help you develop boxi as =
my c++ knowlidge is terrible.=0A> However I could try compiling the latest =
version and test it.=0A=0AThanks, any testing would be very welcome. I know=
 there is a problem with locations and exclusions containing international =
characters not being saved correctly in the configuration files.=0A=0AThere=
 are also automated tests built in to Boxi that you can run with "boxi -t",=
 although not all of them pass and some are disabled by default in Subversi=
on, so you'll need to edit main.cc to re-enable them.=0A=0A> The first year=
s of my IT carreer my job was to test software, later I was responsible for=
=A0backing up=A0large amounts of data on=A0lots of servers. In that way I c=
an help you improve the boxi backup client. =A0Is this the latest version t=
hen? http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/boxi/boxi-0.1.0.tar.gz=A0=A0=0A=0AT=
hat version is very old, please download the latest source code from Subver=
sion.=0A=0A> The documentation also talks about the boxbackup deamon(on the=
 client). This ofcourse is the way it is run on linux, on windows it should=
 be a service. I can not find anything on that in de documentation. So the =
only way to use it is to schedule it using the scheduler in windows, is tha=
t correct?=0A=0AThe intention is that Boxi will be used to create, maintain=
 and test configuration files, run interactive backups, restores and compar=
es, and manage the daemon or Windows service for unattended automated backu=
ps. The last part is currently not working. Some code was written for it a =
long time ago, but it is currently disabled and probably doesn't work. It's=
 my intention to finish that code once the interactive features are working=
 properly.=0A=0ACheers, Chris.=0A-- _____ __=A0 =A0 _=0A\=A0 __/ / ,__(_)_=
=A0 | Chris Wilson <0000 at qwirx.com> - Cambs UK |=0A/ (_/ ,\/ _/ /_ \ | S=
ecurity/C/C++/Java/Ruby/Perl/SQL Developer |=0A\__/_/_/_//_/___/ | We are G=
NU : free your mind & your software |=0A=0A=0A
--0-1269091288-1249115800=:90912

ad><body><div style=3D"font-family:times new roman, new york, times, serif;=
font-size:12pt"><DIV>Hi Chris,</DIV>=0A<DIV> </DIV>=0A<DIV>Thanks for =
the update.</DIV>=0A<DIV> </DIV>=0A<DIV>You wrote:</DIV>=0A<DIV>The in=
tention is that Boxi will be used to create, maintain and test configuratio=
n files, run interactive backups, restores and compares, and manage the dae=
mon or Windows service for unattended automated backups. The last part is c=
urrently not working. Some code was written for it a long time ago, but it =
is currently disabled and probably doesn't work. It's my intention to finis=
h that code once the interactive features are working properly.<BR></DIV>=
=0A<DIV>That sounds promising.</DIV>=0A<DIV>With interactive features you m=
ean the complete GUI as it is now?</DIV>=0A<DIV>I can test that for you, th=
e we can move on completing it I hope.</DIV>=0A<DIV>For now I just set it u=
p to be run from the runkey in the registry or use the schedular.</DIV>=0A<=
DIV> </DIV>=0A<DIV>Achim just gave me al lot of usefull information.</=
DIV>=0A<DIV>I'll start working with that first.</DIV>=0A<DIV> </DIV>=
=0A<DIV>Rgds Edo</DIV>=0A<DIV> </DIV>=0A<DIV><BR> </DIV>=0A<DIV s=
tyle=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: times new roman, new york, times, ser=
if"><BR>=0A<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: arial, helvetica, sa=
ns-serif"><FONT face=3DTahoma size=3D2>=0A<HR SIZE=3D1>=0A<B><SPAN style=3D=
"FONT-WEIGHT: bold">From:</SPAN></B> Chris Wilson <chris at qwirx.com><B=
R><B><SPAN style=3D"FONT-WEIGHT: bold">To:</SPAN></B> boxbackup at boxbackup.o=
rg<BR><B><SPAN style=3D"FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Sent:</SPAN></B> Friday, July 31=
, 2009 1:48:51 AM<BR><B><SPAN style=3D"FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Subject:</SPAN></=
B> Re: [Box Backup] boxi for windows<BR></FONT><BR>Hi Edo,<BR><BR>On Thu, 3=
0 Jul 2009, scartomail wrote:<BR><BR>> Thanks for the response.<BR>> =
I can't help you develop boxi as my c++ knowlidge is terrible.<BR>> Howe=
ver I could try compiling the latest version and test it.<BR><BR>Thanks, an=
y testing would be very welcome. I know there is a problem with locations a=
nd exclusions containing international characters not being saved correctly=
 in the configuration files.<BR><BR>There are also automated tests built in=
 to Boxi that you can run with "boxi -t", although not all of them pass and=
 some are disabled by default in Subversion, so you'll need
 to edit <A href=3D"http://main.cc/" target=3D_blank>main.cc</A> to re-enab=
le them.<BR><BR>> The first years of my IT carreer my job was to test so=
ftware, later I was responsible for backing up large amounts of d=
ata on lots of servers. In that way I can help you improve the boxi ba=
ckup client.  Is this the latest version then? http://prdownloads.sour=
ceforge.net/boxi/boxi-0.1.0.tar.gz  <BR><BR>That version is very =
old, please download the latest source code from Subversion.<BR><BR>> Th=
e documentation also talks about the boxbackup deamon(on the client). This =
ofcourse is the way it is run on linux, on windows it should be a service. =
I can not find anything on that in de documentation. So the only way to use=
 it is to schedule it using the scheduler in windows, is that correct?<BR><=
BR>The intention is that Boxi will be used to create, maintain and test con=
figuration files, run interactive backups, restores and compares, and
 manage the daemon or Windows service for unattended automated backups. The=
 last part is currently not working. Some code was written for it a long ti=
me ago, but it is currently disabled and probably doesn't work. It's my int=
ention to finish that code once the interactive features are working proper=
ly.<BR><BR>Cheers, Chris.<BR>-- _____ __    _<BR>\  __/ / ,_=
_(_)_  | Chris Wilson <0000 at <A href=3D"http://qwirx.com/" target=
=3D_blank>qwirx.com</A>> - Cambs UK |<BR>/ (_/ ,\/ _/ /_ \ | Security/C/=
C++/Java/Ruby/Perl/SQL Developer |<BR>\__/_/_/_//_/___/ | We are GNU : free=
html>
--0-1269091288-1249115800=:90912--