[Box Backup] HOWTO Compile Boxi from source under Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope)

Achim boxbackup at boxbackup.org
Fri Aug 7 22:07:58 BST 2009

Dear list:

Please find below a new HOWTO on compiling Boxi from source under Ubuntu
9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope). It is all pretty straightforward except for two
changes I had to make to the Boxi source code in order to compile it
correctly. Perhaps these changes can be integrated (or fixed?) for trunk:

# main.cc:341: error: ‘OnAssertFailure’ is not a member of ‘wxApp’
change src/main.cc line 341 to:
// wxApp::OnAssertFailure(file, line, func, cond, msg);

# ../include/BackupProgressPanel.h:69: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration
of ‘auto_ptr’ with no type
add this in include/BackupProgressPanel.h on line 32
#include

The latter could be a problem of GCC:

$ g++ --version
g++ (Ubuntu 4.3.3-5ubuntu4) 4.3.3

It also turns out that the Linux version probably works the way Chris
intended (tabs are only shown as needed), whereas the Windows version shows
all tabs at all times, which is actually pretty confusing for the
uninitiated user. On top of that, the button "Close" on the tabs under
Windows does not close the tab, it simply removes all controls and leaves
an empty pane: I always thought that was odd, now I know that it works
perfectly under Linux. Is there maybe a way to achieve that behaviour on
all platforms?

Thanks for a great project, and have a fun weekend!

Achim

[1] <http://cuba-project.org/HOWTO_Compile_Boxi_from_source_Jaunty>