[Box Backup] Non-ASCII location names not working for Boxi and Box Backup

Chris Wilson boxbackup at boxbackup.org
Tue Aug 11 00:01:31 BST 2009

--8323328-2020552171-1249945291=:10269

Hi Achim,

On Tue, 4 Aug 2009, Achim wrote:

> Adding a location with the following settings:
>
> Location name: ñ
> Location path: D:\install\AJL\BACKUPTEST\empty
>
> results in the following bbackupd.conf saved via boxi (note the UTF8
> location name convesion!):

The UTF8 conversion is deliberate. What other portable encoding could we
use in bbackupd.conf? Besides which, Box Backup already uses UTF8
internally everywhere. Using anything else would doubtless introduce more
bugs.

> bbackupd.exe: Nothing is backed up, displays the right location name "ñ",
> but the looks for "ñ" on the file system:

Where do you see that it looks for "ñ" on the file system? I don't see
that in your output below:

> NOTICE:  Beginning scan of local files
> WARNING: Failed to stat location path 'D:\install\AJL\BACKUPTEST\empty',
> skipping location 'ñ': No s
> uch file or directory (2)
> NOTICE:  Finished scan of local files
> NOTICE:  File statistics: total file size uploaded 0, bytes already on
> server 0, encoded size 0

Does the path D:\install\AJL\BACKUPTEST\empty actually exist? If not then
I would expect this error.

> changing BackupLocations to
> BackupLocations
> {
> 	{
> 		Path = D:\install\AJL\BACKUPTEST\empty
> 	}
> }

I would not expect this to work.

> Boxi.exe: Nothing is backed up
>
> bbackupd.exe: Nothing is backed up, and now location name is now displayed
> empty '':

Probably because the name is not valid UTF-8 so it can't be converted to
console encoding for display on the console.

--8323328-2020552171-1249945291=:10269--