[Box Backup] Boxi 657 and Box Backup R2549 do not back up empty files

Achim boxbackup at boxbackup.org
Tue Aug 11 00:04:06 BST 2009

Hello Chris:

On 11/08/2009 00:58, Chris Wilson wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Aug 2009, Achim wrote:
>
>> Boxi 657 (bug 2831965 [1]) and Box Backup R2549 (not ticket opened
>> yet) do not back up empty files
>
> Was this related to the file not being old enough to back up (over
> MinimumFileAge) and can you reproduce the problem with MinimumFileAge
> set sufficiently low?

I already closed the bug as Invalid: I was clearly not seeing the
MinimumFileAge. My comment on the bug report however holds true:

Files were not sufficiently old to be older than the MinimumFileAge
(default: 21600 seconds, 6 hours).

Since they were not, they were not be backed up and there will not
be any warning, as this is the definition of MinimumFileAge, and it's
expected that regular backups will continue and will eventually back up
these files.

 From the default conf file:

# The minimum age of a file, in seconds, that will be uploaded. Avoids
# repeated uploads of a file which is constantly being modified.
MinimumFileAge = 21600

Are we sure that 6 hours is not too conservative? People can create a
lot of valuable content in 6 hours, and storage/network space is cheap.
I would be in favour of lowering that value to something like 30 minutes.

Best regards, Achim