[Box Backup] Suggestion for Boxi UI improvements

Chris Wilson boxbackup at boxbackup.org
Tue Aug 11 20:39:23 BST 2009

Hi Achim,

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009, Achim wrote:

> I have been thinking about the Boxi UI for a while now. While it seems
> completely functional (i.e. you can access all the functionalities), I feel
> that it could be streamlined by reducing complexity from the current
> version. I enclose a very simple mockup (based on Audacity controls) that
> could serve as an inspiration. I think that such a reduction and focus on
> common workflows will make Boxi so much easier for users that have no idea
> how it works internally: they will simply have to follow instructions step
> by step and are guided naturally to a working backup solution that rocks!

I agree with the general principle, although I think having about 4-5
buttons on the front page with clear text descriptions could be equally
useful if not more so, and that's the way it's designed at the moment. I
don't think that hiding the wizard and advanced configuration options
helps, does it?

> The problem is that Boxi on Windows and OS X always shows all the tabs of
> the wxNotebook, regardless of what stage of a backup/restore/compare you
> are.

Yes, that is a bug and one that I'm aware of. The way it works under Gnome
is the way it's supposed to work on all platforms.

> In my mind, we could apply a very simple decision tree in order to show
> only one dialog/screen at a time. Initially, the user only wants to
> a) restore (most left suggestion, in case of panic attack when he just
> deleted something),
> b) backup or
> c) compare.

I deliberately chose to implement a modeless interface that lets the user
switch between views. I have seen users often enough get really confused
and lost with modal interfaces because they are not intuitive and stop the
user from doing what they want to do. I intend to implement Boxi in such a
way that a modeless interface is completely possible and easier to use
than a modal one.

> Boxi at the moment is already a fantastic tool, and so much easier to
> use than the command line. With a streamlined "Boxi NG" as proposed
> here, I am convinced that this project can make another important step
> and further increase it appeal to end users.

I will think about it, but by all means open it up to discussion with
other users.